As many of you know, we have a very blended household, with multiple generations of family under one roof. One of the things that I enjoy about this is that my kids are able to spend time with their grandfather and bond. This has had a huge impact in Lil Man’s love for cooking, as the two of them really enjoy spending time in the kitchen together.
Of course, health is a big factor here, as my father in law is getting up there in age, so we try to put a healthy spin on our recipes. What we eat is a big part of our overall health, so this Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup recipe is loaded with vegetables for just that reason! Best of all, it’s something that they can make together.
Now, without further ado, I present you with this delicious comfort food recipe, Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup. It’s chocked full of fresh vegetables like carrots, mushrooms and kale. But most of all, it tastes absolutely amazing! It’s a perfect meal to serve for your family this winter.
I enjoy using recipes with lions mane, which are juicy and super flavorful.
Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
- Base Soup
- 8oz Baby bell mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 Carrots, medium size, sliced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 box Wild rice, with seasoning blend inside
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 3 cloves Garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Cream Sauce
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- 1½ cups Milk
- In a large pot, simmer the base soup ingredients until the rice is tender; about 35 minutes
- minutes before your soup is done, prepare the cream sauce.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then whisk in the flour, then milk.
- Stir frequently for bout 10 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick.
- Add sauce and kale to the large pot of soup. Simmer 10 minutes and serve hot with crusty bread.