I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Boys & Girls Club of America. I received a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
There are a number of things that play a part in living a healthy lifestyle. It's not just what we eat and the amount of exercise we get but our minds, bodies and souls as a whole that keeps us healthy. If one if off balance, the others might easily slip into that off balanced cycle, being potentially harmful to our health.
There are many simple ways that we can do better for ourselves and reaching for things like fruits and vegetables for a snack rather than a bag of chips is a great choice that kids can make. My family has been on a huge fruit kick since the spring and we're constantly munching on fresh fruit. My kids have been calling me a "watermelon freak" because that's something I'd always bring home from the grocery store all summer long.
But summer has turned into fall and now we're busy with back to school, full time work schedules and everything in between. We're trying to make sure that we stay active as a family and it's important for me to help my?kids to establish healthy lifestyle patterns so that they can carry these skills with them throughout their lives.?Lil Man is part of the statistical 3 in 10 US kids that are overweight or obese and we're trying to work together to get him to live a healthier, more active lifestyle.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America have a Triple Play healthy lifestyle program who's aim is to combat childhood obesity and encourage kids to participate in the recommended 60 minutes of daily vigorous physical activity. Sadly only about 25% of 12-15 year old kids are meeting that recommended level; however?Triple Play has connected with close to 10 million kids since 2005 to share the importance of proper nutrition and physical activity.
My family has been doing all sorts of things to get more active and most of them are done right in our front and back yards and best of all, they're all free! I've shared our ideas with you below.
8 FREE Outdoor Activities to Keep Your Family Active this Fall
- Play football - Whether you're just tossing the ball back and forth or playing tackle football, this is a great way to stay active and it'll help the smaller looks learn coordination skills as well!
- Ride bikes - You can ride around the block or do a full bike ride on nearby trails. Biking is excellent exercise?and a great way to stay active and fit.
- Go for a walk - You can go for a long walk, a short brisk walk or a combination of both. Either way, walking is a great way to spend time together!
- Play in the backyard - Play tag or an organized game or just let the kids run around; backyard playtime is fun!
- Shoot some hoops?- Who's in for a little one on one? Basketball can be played as a group, but alone as well.
- Climb a tree - Tree climbing is such fun. Find a good one to climb and let the kids play like we did when we were young!
- Rake leaves - Raking leaves will give you a workout fr sure but it's a chore that's gotta be done this time of year. Let the kids jump in the piles when you're done!
- Go to the park - Playing at the park is so much fun and there's always something for everyone to do. And just think, if you don't have a yard to do all of the things above in, you can head to the park and do them all!
The Coca-Cola Company and Anthem BlueCross BlueShield Foundation support the Triple Play program and with their help, BGCA will help kids avoid risky behaviors and learn to be healthy through health education, good nutrition and making a commitment to stay fit. All of these things together will help to build the next generation of leaders!
Learn more about Triple Play and download the Parent's Game Plan to take part in your family's healthy lifestyle. It;s chocked full of ideas, resources and so much more.