Dental health is of utmost importance and given that February is National Children's Dental Health month, now seems like a perfect time to discuss it. Children need to learn how to properly care for their mouth and teeth at an early age so that it becomes a habit throughout their entire lives. A healthy routine is the start for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
Oral Health America (OHA) and Tom's of Maine have teamed up this month to help instill healthy brushing habits int the lives of children. They've created a coloring book called "Brushing Fun" to not only help teach children about brushing, but to get them excited about it as well. The coloring book is absolutely free to download and each download will help OHA support its Smiles Across America program. For each and every download of the Brushing Fun coloring book, Tom's of Maine will donate 10 tubes of Wicked Cool! natural toothpaste to Smiles Across America. In addition, they will also make a one time donation of $50,000 to the program - amazing!
Good oral health doesn't just mean brushing in the morning. You've got to brush at bedtime too, so my kids have a #GoodBedtime Routine. Once 8:00 hits, they each hit one of the bathrooms to take a shower. They get all nice and clean, then hop out, dry off and get dressed. They hit the sink and start brushing for 2 minutes, then rinse, swish and floss. After their bodies and mouths are nice and clean, they make their lunches and get 30 minutes of either screen time or reading time before they hustle up to their room for bed.
5 Tips for a Healthy Mouth
- Brushing - You should brush your teeth at least twice a day for 2 minutes each time.
- Flossing - Flossing helps get what brushing misses, like the spaces in between your teeth.
- Eating right - Eating foods like fruits, vegetables and cheese help build healthy teeth and gums.
- Avoid sugary foods - Sugar turns into acid from the bacteria in our mouths and can cause tooth decay.
- Routine - Starting a healthy brushing routine early in life helps children to keep these routines as they grow older.