This best crockpot beef stew recipe is simple to make, and absolutely delicious! It is a family favorite to make in the fall and winter!
Loaded with carrots, and potatoes, this is by far my favorite beef stew recipe. This hearty stew is a perfectly filling dinner recipe when served with crusty bread.
Do I have to brown stew meat before slow cooking?
Technically, you do not have to brown the meat before adding it to the slowcooker. However, I find that browning it first adds flavor, and makes the meat more tender when serving.
How long does beef stew take in slow cooker?
You will want to cook your beef stew for about 3-4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low.
Why is my stew meat tough in slow cooker?
If your stew meat is tough, it may be because you did not brown the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. That’s why I like to brown my meat before adding it to the slow cooker. It helps to make the meat more tender, and boosts the flavor of the meat.
What other recipes should I try?
We’ve got some other heaty soups and stews that I think you will enjoy. Give them a try, and let us know how you liked them!
- Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Hearty Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
What will I need to make this best crockpot beef stew?
You will need the following ingredients to make this tasty stew recipe:
- Beef bouillon
- 1.5 lbs beef, cut into ½ inch pieces (I used a sirloin roast)
- 5-7 small-medium potatoes
- 2 cups baby carrots
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic
- 4 cups water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
1. Add beef to a medium skillet, and add salt, pepper, and garlic. Brown meat over medium low heat, just until browned.
2. Cut potatoes into one inch pieces, and cut carrots into bite size pieces.
3. Add potatoes, carrots and cooked meat to the crockpot. Then add water and bouillon cubes.
4. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low 6-8 hours.
5. Mix cornstarch with a few tablespoons of water, and stir well.
6. Add cornstarch mixture to the crockpot, give a quick stir and cook on high for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 723Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 1050mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 51g