I received DOLITTLE for this review/feature. Opinions expressed are my own.
He’s not just a people person! Universal Pictures Home Entertainment reignites a classic character, as Robert Downey Jr. (Avengers: Endgame, Sherlock Holmes) stars in DOLITTLE, arriving on Digital March 24, 2020 and on 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, DVD and On Demand on April 7, 2020. Own the movie all the animals are talking about and go an epic journey with a hilarious always cold bear, an anxious gorilla, a lovable giraffe, a ferocious tiger, and more! Fly behind-the-scenes with Robert Downey Jr. and the star-studded cast to explore the wild world of DOLITTLE.
Robert Downey Jr. electrifies as the man who could talk to animals: Dolittle. After losing his wife, he hermits himself away behind the high wall of his manor, but is forced to set sail on an epic adventure when the queen falls gravely ill. Helping Dolittle in search of a rare cure are his rambunctious animal friends—including Chee-Chee (Oscar® winner Rami Malek), an anxious, self-conscious gorilla; Dab-Dab (Oscar® winner Octavia Spencer), an enthusiastic but bird-brained duck; the bickering duo of cynical, neurotic ostrich Plimpton (Kumail Nanjiani) and chilly-but-chill polar bear Yoshi (John Cena); as well as a headstrong parrot named Polynesia (Oscar® winner Emma Thompson).
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD™, BLU-RAY™, DVD AND DIGITAL:
- TALK TO THE ANIMALS – Dolittle is surrounded by a motley cast of characters. Take a peek at all the fun the cast had giving each of the animals their unique voice.
- ROBERT DOWNEY JR. & HARRY: MENTOR AND MENTEE – Acting opposite a legendary actor like Robert Downey Jr. can be an intimidating experience, but Harry Collett handled it like a pro. See the unique bond the two actors formed on-set, and how Downey took the film’s young co-star under his wing.
- BECOMING THE GOOD DOCTOR – See the process of how this team of talented artists brought this film to life, and how Robert Downey Jr. transformed into the iconic Dolittle.
- ANTONIO BANDERAS: PIRATE KING – Antonio Banderas discusses what attracted him to the project, his experiences working with Robert Downey Jr., and what he brought to the role of King Rassouli.
- THE WICKED DR. MÜDFLY – Who is the nefarious villain Dr. Blair Müdfly? Michael Sheen dives into his character's motivations for being Dolittle's foil.
- A MOST UNUSUAL HOUSE – It takes a special home to accommodate humans and animals alike. Explore the unique rooms and modifications that allow Dolittle to house anyone or anything - big or small.
Run Time: 01:41:15
Rating: PG for some action, rude humor and brief language
The first few minutes of the movie were a little strange for me as I found it very hard to see Robert Downey Jr. as anyone but Iron Man! But 10 minutes in once the story really starts up I was soon able to distance myself from his previous characters and fully take him in as Dolittle. Rated PG I showed this movie to my 11 and 8 year old daughters and all 3 of us really enjoyed the movie! The animated animals are not distracting as they feel fully part of the movie. Dolittle and his wife loved helping animals but upon her death he became a hermit at a nature preserve taking care of animals. Unfortunately for him he must leave his new found lifestyle because two children inform him the Queen of England is sick and when she dies the next in line for the throne plans to take Dolittle’s estate from him. Now we see him set off on a new journey that does the part of keeping children watching at home entertained with ease. There are plenty of funny jokes to go around and adults will be able to recognize several of the animals voices as "familiar." It is clearly a hit with my children as we have already watched this movie 3 times during what we call "the distancing" and I can honestly say I don't mind sitting down to watch it with them. This movie is PERFECT for family movie nights!