Summer is in full swing and families everywhere are making plans to create some fun vacation memories together. Florida is one of the top destinations that many families have in mind for summer travel. Today, I’ve partnered with Alamo Rent A Car to share some tips for planning a Fort Lauderdale family vacation.
They’ve already shared a great resource on Alamo’s Scenic Route site, 5 Things to Do with Family in Ft. Lauderdale. There are some great ideas for the whole family to enjoy the Florida sunshine, and should help you during your planning to find family friendly activities and places to eat.
If you decide to visit Orlando while on vacation in Florida, you should definitely check out my tips to taking it easy at Disney, while creating memories and magic. While there are many wonderful properties to stay on site, you may want to look into Orlando vacation rentals if you’re traveling with a larger group, want more space, or would rather prepare your own meals. All of their condos, townhomes, and houses for rent in Orlando are located within 15 minutes of Walt Disney World and Universal Studios Orlando, and some have accommodations up to 7 private bedrooms.
Fort Lauderdale family vacation planning tips
A lot of preparation goes into planning a trip, especially when you’re planning a vacation for an entire family. There are many things to consider, as well as a long list of things that you will need to pack. Here are some tips to help you plan for a memorable vacation to Fort Lauderdale.
- Travel during summer – If you’re on a limited budget, plan your trip sometime between June through August, as this is the best time to go since all of the snowbirds have gone home.
- Find a hotel off the main beach – Again, this is a budget friendly tip. There are many hotels within a five-minute walk of the beach that offer more reasonable rates as well as kitchenettes so that you can save money on dining out.
- Pack the sunscreen – You will want to protect the kids and yourself from the sun, so make sure to pack plenty of sunscreen.
- Bring a couple of swimsuits – There is almost nothing as bad as putting on a wet swimsuit or one that is full of sand. I suggest packing at least 2 swimsuits per person.
- Skip the jam packed itinerary – Make the most of your vacation by living in the moment and enjoying it. Of course, you should plan fun activities for your family to do together, but vacations are meant to be fun and relaxing. Enjoy that downtime on the beach, build a sand castle, or let the kids bury you in the sand. The memories will be worth it!
I want you to be able to make the most out of your vacation in Fort Lauderdale, so I’ve done a little bit of research and found some free activities, as well as some things to do indoors in case it rains.
What is there to do in Fort Lauderdale for free?
Free activities are in abundance in the Fort Lauderdale, and can really help you to stretch those vacation dollars. Some free activities include Fort Lauderdale Beach, Buehler Planetarium & Observatory, Secret Woods Nature Center, and African-American Research Library and Cultural Center.
What is there to do in Fort Lauderdale on a rainy day?
Florida is notorious for rain, which isn’t all that bothersome since it’s usually still nice and warm. Some fun indoor rainy-day activities for families include bowling at at Manor Lanes Bowling Center, bouncing at Sky Zone, and relaxing at IMAX 3D Movie Theater.
Do you have any other tips to share for members of our audience planning a vacation to Fort Lauderdale? Please share them in the comments below. For more travel inspiration, be sure to check out Alamoâ€™s Scenic Route.