I received The Upside on Blu-ray Combo Pack for this review/feature. Opinions expressed are my own.
Kevin Hart (Night School, Ride Along) and Bryan Cranston (Trumbo, “Breaking Bad”) pair up to tell the inspirational true story of a genuine and unique friendship in the fun and moving comedy The Upside, debuting on Digital on May 14, 2019 and on Blu-rayTM Combo Pack, DVD and On Demand on May 21, 2019 from STXfilms, Lantern Entertainment and Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. From acclaimed director Neil Burger (Divergent, Limitless), the film follows a discouraged out-of-work ex-con and a wealthy quadriplegic who unexpectedly come together and help each other bring back their zest for life.
Recently paroled ex-convict, Dell Scott (Hart) strikes up an unusual and unlikely friendship with a quadriplegic billionaire, Phillip Lacasse (Cranston) in this hilarious and heartfelt comedy. From worlds apart, Dell and Phillip form an unlikely bond, bridging their differences and gaining invaluable wisdom in the process, giving each man a renewed sense of passion for all of life’s possibilities.
Check out the movie trailer below!
BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAYTM, DVD AND DIGITAL
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel
- Onscreen Chemistry: Kevin and Bryan – Film stars Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston talk about their unique characters and working together on The Upside.
- Creating a Story of Possibility – Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston share insight on how their characters, Dell Scott and Phillip Lacasse, unexpectedly come together to help each other unlock a new world of possibilities.
- Bridging Divisions – Director Neil Burger and Kevin Hart talk about how two very different people find common ground through compassion for each other.
- Embracing Positivity – Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston open up about positive messages in the film and the power of hope, love, and friendship.
- Presenting a Different Side of Kevin Hart – Neil Burger, Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston discuss Kevin’s career-changing role and his fantastic performance.
- Theatrical Trailer
Run Time: 2 hours and 6 minutes
Rating: PG-13 for suggestive content and drug use
I do not get a lot of time for myself but I was super excited to check out The Upside because I feel every woman needs to watch a moving comedy every now and then as it feels good for the soul! The Upside had my attention from the very beginning and is a movie that will indeed pull at your heartstrings. I always joke my heart is made of stone but movies like this one always prove me wrong! Hart and Cranston's chemistry is clear and what holds the whole movie together. Sure, the ending may be a bit cliche but it works with this movie and it is the ending the viewers needed. This is a great movie for some laughter, some tears and a satisfying movie night cuddled up on the sofa.