Bees are on a rapid decline and many gardeners are finding out what kind of flowers attract bees and taking major steps to help with the preservation of bees. From discontinuing the use of harmful pesticides to planting stunningly beautiful gardens full of flowers for bees. Some are even going an extra step in gorilla gardening and tossing wildflower seeds into vacant lots to help feed the bees. These flowers will look great in your garden while feeding the bees.
What kind of flowers attract bees
- Bee balm - got its name because it is a favorite of bees. This herb has beautiful flowers and is a great addition to your flower or herb garden.
- Cosmo - a pretty flower perfect for adding to your flower garden or landscaping. These add a pop of color to your garden. They even grow well in pots if you are looking for a flower for your patio.
- Snapdragon - makes a beautiful addition to your garden that will help attract bees and feed them. Snapdragons are beautiful and perfect for adding a unique addition to your garden. These beautiful flowers bloom from April to the first frost.
- Hosta - a popular garden addition. They grow well in shade and add plenty of greenery to your landscape. In the late summer, Hostas will bloom providing food for bees when it is needed most for preparing for the long winter ahead.
- Zinnia - a beautiful and easy to grow flower that will attract bees to your garden. These will bloom from mid-summer into the last frost allowing the bees to forage until the last moment. A vital resource for bees as the colder days move in.
- Aster - another great flower for feeding bees as the summer comes to a close. Stunning purple and blue flowers will give your garden a beautiful pop as the leaves turn colors. The contrasting color will look great in your garden while attracting bees as they finish up harvesting nectar and pollen for the year.
People tend to have a lot of questions when it comes to bees and flowers, so I thought I would answer a few of them, to help you as you plan your garden to attract bees.
What color flowers are bees attracted to?
Blue, purple, violet, white, and yellow are the colors that bees are mostly attracted to. Be sure to plant some flowers in these colors to help bring bees to your garden.
Are bees attracted to color or scent?
Bees are mostly attracted to the color of flowers. They like the colors that I listed above, but cannot see the color red.
As you know, bees play an important role in nature and helping to pollinate our plants. I hope that these tips have helped you in planning for a bee-friendly garden. You might also find these related posts helpful as you plan your garden: