Inspired by E.T.A. Hoffmann’s classic tale and the beloved ballet, Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms arrives on Digital, Movies Anywhere, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD Jan. 29, 2019. Relieve the magic of this classic tale instantly through bonus features and never-before-seen extras such as a behind-the-scenes look at how the four realms were created to such dazzling effect. Experience the Disney magic and adventure in what is destined to become an annual viewing tradition for adventurers of all ages.
In “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms,” Clara travels along a golden thread, presented at Drosselmeyer’s (Morgan Freeman) annual party, eagerly searching for a one-of-a-kind key that will unlock a music box that holds a priceless gift. When she enters a mysterious parallel world, Clara encounters a Nutcracker soldier named Phillip (Jayden Fowora-Knight), a gang of mice and three Realm regents, including the Sugar Plum Fairy (Keira Knightley). Ultimately, she must brave the ominous Fourth Realm, home to the tyrant Mother Ginger (Helen Mirren), to retrieve the key and return harmony to the unstable world.
Bonus features include*:
- On Pointe: A Conversation with Misty Copeland – Copeland shares the thrill of portraying one of her favorite characters in a whole new way.
- Unwrapping “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” – Dive into the production design, sets, costumes and more that helped transform a beloved ballet into an adventurous movie.
- Deleted Scenes –
- The Stahlbaums Arrive– As the Stahlbaums enter the Christmas Eve ball, the butler attempts to announce them to the assembled guests.
- Follow Your Ribbon- Drosselmeyer encourages a reluctant Clara to go find her gift.
- Deleted Scene: Clara Asks About Her Mother– Sugar Plum gives Clara a tour of her mother’s bedroom.
- Left, Left, Left, Left, Left– Wandering lost in the forest, palace guards Cavalier and Harlequin quarrel about which way to go.
- Out with the Old– Sugar Plum makes sweeping changes to the palace decor.
- Music Videos –
- “Fall on Me” Performed by Andrea Bocelli Featuring Matteo Bocelli– Experience superstar tenor Andrea Bocelli and his son Matteo Bocelli performing their first duet together in this uplifting song.
- “The Nutcracker Suite” Performed by Lang Lang– Get swept up in a series of images from the movie, set to Tchaikovsky’s music and featuring world-renowned pianist Lang Lang.
- Unwrapped: The Visual Effects of “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms”– View a reel that explores the layers of effects in sequences of the film.
Feature Run Time: Approximately 99 minutes
Rating: PG in U.S. (bonus material not rated), PA in CE and PG in CF
Everyone…young and old…should know the story of The Nutcracker. I enjoy watching different versions of the classic story and Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms is truly a masterpiece to be enjoyed every holiday season! The music is familiar so those nostalgic songs are still there and the story starts out traditional but then Clara is taken to a magical world full of exciting people and places that have little ones watching with anticipation. For really young children they might be scared at some scenes but that is typical Nutcracker with giant rats. Overall my 7 and 10 year old girls love this movie and did not find it scary. My favorite part of this movie was the casting…so many big names that I enjoy watching in movies! Disney did a great job turning this classic story into a movie that kids will enjoy. I know this will be a movie we watch over and over again every Christmas season!