Summer literally just began, but our weekends are already booked until after the 4th of July. We decided that it might be a good idea to celebrate Father's Day a little early this year, just in case we can't find the time that weekend. So I headed to Pick ?n Save, my favorite Wisconsin grocery store on Friday to get all the fixings for a Father's Day spread.
I thought burgers on the grill would be great - since my husband is quite the grill master after all. Pick 'n Save is my go-to store for meat because it's always fresh. Lucky for me, I even found ground beef on sale. Score 1 for mom!
I decided that we would make Loaded Mushroom & Swiss Pub Burgers, some plain burgers for my mushroom disliking kids, a boxed pasta salad, chips, dip and raspberry lemon-aid with fresh lemons. I thought long and hard about dessert, then came up with an amazing idea - blueberry cupcakes with fresh blueberries baked inside and scattered on top of the frosting!
I'm a pretty decent baker, though I've never made a cake mix from scratch. I find it easier to just grab a box and get to work. So I chose my favorite yellow cake mix, followed the directions for cupcakes, poured that batter into liners and added 4 blueberries into each. Once they were done, cooled and it was time to frost, I busted out my large Wilton tip, swirled my design on them and topped with 3 fresh blueberries - then sprinkled a little blue sugar on top. Super easy and absolutely delicious! The blueberries made the cupcakes so moist and each bite had the perfect blend of blueberry flavor.
Lil Man helped me make the lemon-aid since he loves to help in the kitchen every chance he gets. He even sliced and arranged the lemons. I think he did a fantastic job!
We enjoyed our meal, had great conversation and then played some backyard games. We did the whiffle ball thing and some badminton without the net. Lesson #548: Never let the kids try to set up the badminton/volleyball net after you tell them you don't have time to set it up, so we'll play different games instead. It will become more frustrating than it's worth!
Our evening ended with the kids and us snuggled in the family room watching movies. It was a great pre Father's Day celebration! The next morning, we shopped for our 4 little nephews' first birthday gift and took dad to Kohl's so he could pick out some new clothes for Father's Day!
Makes 8 Burgers
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 container Portabella mushrooms
- 8 oz Swiss cheese
- 3 tbsp Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 8 bakery rolls
1. Chop half package of mushrooms into tiny pieces.
2. In a large bowl, combined, ground beef, chopped mushrooms, 4 oz Swiss cheese, bbq sauce, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix well.
3. Divide meat mixture into 4 even balls. You will gather meat and roll in your hands to form a ball. Press into a patty using your hand or burger press.
4. Place burgers on grill, sprinkle Montreal Steak Seasoning on top. Grill until done, flipping once.
5. While burgers are cooking, saute the remaining half of mushrooms in butter.
6. When burgers are done, place on a bakery roll, sprinkle with Swiss cheese, add some sauteed mushrooms and top with more Swiss cheese.