Everyone will agree that mommy-and-me styles are really cute! Dressing identically with your child will forever be a hot trend because it proves the widely-held belief that young children are often cuter little versions of their parents, especially style-wise. As its popularity grows, more and more fashion houses are including pieces for moms and their little ones in their collections.
Collections for tweens are not left out either. There are mom-and-me clothing sets designed for any size and any activity you could think of, from play time in the park to wedding guest and everything in-between and for all ages from newborns and toddlers to tweens and teens. Wearing matching clothes is a fun way to bond with your kids and inspire their imaginations. Here are four suggestions to help you and your child put together an adorable matching outfit that is also tasteful, comfortable and visually appealing.
How to Rock Matching Outfits like a Pro
1. Choose Comfort
Whether you’re shopping for cozy fits for winter or stylish layers for fall, comfort should always be a top consideration when shopping for kids clothing. Kids have to dress up in ways that make them feel relaxed because the moment they indicate that a piece of clothing is causing them any discomfort, you’ll have no choice but to take it off, which might ruin the mommy and me moment.
Also avoid wearing styles that do not complement your figure or are heavily decorated with embroideries. Your child may feel uneasy in some types of fabrics, avoid those and make sure both you and your kid are comfortable in whatever outfit you decide to wear.
2. Think Outside the Box
It takes some creativity to put together a unique mom and me outfit that would turn heads and look even cuter in pictures. For instance, you can choose a complementary piece and then make subtle adjustments to the rest of your outfit to highlight your individuality.
You do not need to buy items that match from head to toe to look like you’re matching. But you can still be unique while wearing the latest in mommy-and-me style. Here are some ways to think outside the box while trying out the mom-and-me trend.
- Full Matching Outfit – Wearing the same outfit from head to toe, in adult and child sizes, is the simplest option when it comes to mother-child matching outfits. It’s acceptable on every occasion because of the appealing and lighthearted vibe it gives off. However, creating full matching styles is not always as easy as it sounds. Fortunately, many stores carry full matching sets of mom and me clothing, saving you the stress of having to put the styles together yourself.
- Complementary accessories – Even if you don’t want to dress exactly alike, you can still co-ordinate a look by sharing accessories like flower hairbands, sunglasses, or necklaces with sweet messages for mom and daughter. You might want to think about fashionable diamond necklaces to make your and your daughter’s matching outfits extra special.
- Shoes – A good way to coordinate outfits is to wear the same pair of shoes. You can easily find footwear that will allow you to achieve the same effect without drawing too much attention to yourself.
- T-shirt – Wearing T-shirts with appropriate graphics, slogans, or logos may give kids that “grown-up” feeling. Remember to keep the graphics cute and age-appropriate.
- Colors/Prints – If you don’t want to buy the same clothes, you could also buy clothes with similar patterns or colors. As long as you stick to common patterns and styles, it is very easy to buy clothes with patterns that go together. Some popular patterns you can choose from are monochrome basket weave, camo, or polka dots.
- If you can’t find pieces that are the same, match colors instead. You can also use complementary colors. For example, you could wear a yellow shirt while your child wears a yellow dress. (This trick is perfect for older kids who may not want to wear identical outfits with mummy)
3. Pick Some Classics
Some fashion pieces never go out of style because they flatter people of all ages. For instance, in the fall, wearing flower-themed clothing with your daughter can never go out of style. However, not everyone looks good in prints, so tread carefully.
Another example of amazing classic clothing is stripes. They are timeless, simple, and universally flattering. Also, plaid prints are ideal for holiday gatherings and make it simple to dress the whole family alike. Finally, denim is timeless, and there are countless ways to style them to match your kids.
4. Beware of Trends
Matching outfits are more likely to be noticed and appreciated if they are visually appealing. Avoid the mistake of choosing an outfit simply because it’s trending. Dress kids up in ways that look cute and innocent.