This is a sponsored post, though all opinions are my own. Getting injured is no joke. Depending on the severity of the injury, you may end up losing out on work, or worse, suffer something that will ail you for the rest of your life. If you have been injured, you should be compensated, and his is definitely something that you will want to put a lot of thought and research into.
There are many types of personal injuries that can be considered as “compensatory”. This means that these injuries can be quantified and reimbursed by monetary value. Definitely, there can be no financial compensation that is able to cover the physical, psychological, and mental harm caused by the accident. However, to determine the extent of your personal injury you can contact a qualified personal injury lawyer, who can help you to get the best results possible.
Check out these tips for hiring a personal injury lawyer below, and most definitely take them into consideration when shopping around for your personal injury attorney.
5 tips for hiring a personal injury lawyer
- Get a referral – If you have friends and family who have been down this road before, ask them who they used and how their experience was. Whether could or bad, their advice could really help you determine who to hire (or not to hire) in the long run.
- Do your research – Just like choosing a Doctor, choosing a personal injury attorney is just as important. Check for a lawyer with a positive reputation, and one that has been involved in similar cases for a long time. Also be sure to check their disciplinary record as well as trial experience and winning record. These are all very important factors to consider, and this article provides a lot of great tips.
- Call around – Gather a list of potential personal injury attorneys to take your case. Call each one and schedule face to face interviews so that you can meet with them to ask questions and discuss your case.
- Trust your judgement – During your meeting, have a conversation, ask questions, and get a feel for their “vibe”. This article actually has an interview sheet that you could print, and the author tackles a lot of common questions or concerns that you might have when deciding who to hire. Most importantly, trust your gut feeling about each of the attorneys that you interview. I always say that your gut usually doesn’t lie.
- Talk money – Discuss the fees that a potential personal injury attorney may have, as well as any up front fees required from you, or out of pocket expenses that you may need to incur before signing any contracts.
Hiring a lawyer comes with a lot of questions, and it;s not a decision to take lightly. I have helped to answer some common questions below.
How much does a lawyer get out of a settlement?
That really does vary, but most lawyers charge between 33-40% for their contingency fees. Of course, there may be room for negotiation, so definitely do not be discouraged to try, or to “shop around”.
Do I need a personal injury lawyer?
In short, the answer is no. However, hiring an experienced personal injury attorney to represent you in court will definitely increase your chances of winning and getting the compensation that you deserve.
How much should I ask for a Personal Injury Settlement?
Believe it or not, you should aim high! A general rule of thumb is to request 75-100% more than the amount that would make you happy.