I received a sample for this review/feature. Opinions expressed are my own.
Pete's Dragon, a reimagining of Disney's cherished family film centered on an orphaned boy named Pete and his best friend Elliot, who just so happens to be a dragon. Families will be captivated by this magical movie followed by never-before-seen bonus features, including a revealing look at director David Lowery's personal diary kept during the filming of ?Pete's Dragon,? the design process behind the lovable dragon Elliot, deleted scenes, a tour of the film's breathtaking production location of New Zealand, audio commentary by filmmakers and actors and hilarious bloopers. This heartwarming adventure arrives?on Digital HD, Blu-ray, Disney Movies Anywhere, DVD and On-Demand?on November 29th;?just in time?to entertain the entire family this holiday season.
"Pete's Dragon" stars Bryce Dallas Howard ("Jurassic World") as Grace, a forest ranger in the Pacific Northwest who happens upon 10-year-old Pete, played by Oakes Fegley ("This is Where I Leave You"). Oona Laurence ("Southpaw") is Natalie, the 11-year-old daughter of Jack, a lumber-mill owner played by Wes Bentley ("The Hunger Games"). Karl Urban ("Star Trek") is Jack's bumbling brother Gavin and Oscar?-winner Robert Redford ("Captain America: The Winter Soldier") portrays Mr. Meacham, an old wood carver who delights the local children with tales of a fierce dragon.
The film is directed by David Lowery ("Ain't Them Bodies Saints") from a screenplay by Lowery & Toby Halbrooks based on a screenplay by Malcolm Marmorstein and produced by Jim Whitaker, p.g.a. ("The Finest Hours?), with Barrie M. Osborne ("The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring") serving as executive producer.
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL HD:
- Notes to Self: A Director's Diary ? Director David Lowery narrates the personal diary he kept through the filming of ?Pete's Dragon? in this intimate and fascinating look at the movie's making.
- Making Magic ? Discover fun facts about what went into designing this spectacular, lovable dragon.
- Disappearing Moments ? The director shares a montage of the film's lost scenes.
- Welcome to New Zealand ? Experience the wonders of New Zealand and learn why it's a magical place to visit ? and to make a movie.
- Audio Commentary ? Gain an insider perspective from director David Lowery, co-writer Toby Halbrooks and actors Oakes Fegley and Oona Laurence.
- Music Videos
- ?Nobody Knows? by The Lumineers
- ?Something Wild? by Lindsey Stirling featuring Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
- Making Magic
Feature Run Time: Approximately 103 minutes
I really enjoyed the original Pete's Dragon film back when I was a young kid. My brother and I would watch it over and over again. Somehow my husband had never watched the original but it didn't matter because my whole family is in love with this new version of Pete's Dragon. Elliot, the dragon, takes in Pete when his parents are killed in a car accident. They live together in the forest for 6 years until a crew starts chopping down trees near their home. Their way of life is in trouble as Pete is spotted by humans. This is one heartwarming tale that will have you enjoying every minute. There is just something magical at the thought of having one's own pet dragon. Make sure to watch all the bonus features and especially my favorite, Welcome to New Zealand, where you get to see the gorgeous backdrop of the movie. This is a really great family film to watch together this holiday season.